Monday, November 3, 2008

New Movie Theater On Saipan

The Yapper was in high spirits when Hollywood Theater reopened after its month-long blackout, but there are still a couple of days in the week when the movie going public is without a home as the local movie house goes dark on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
the daily yapper, stanley torres, cnmi, saipan, tinian, rota, we love saipan, saipan daily yapper
That all changed yesterday when the newest motion picture sensation to hit the Northern Mariana Islands launched with much fanfare. The price of admission is ridiculously lower than that of its San Jose counterpart, but both buildings are equally air conditioned to the point of arctic comfort.
hollywood theater, blockbuster video, i robot, movies, chamorro, carolinian, yap, yapese
Since Blockbuster block-busted down the doors of the closest ship to get outta here, the only places left to catch a flick is at the new cinema on Capital Hill. I was lucky enough to catch the first showing at the newly named "LegiPlex Showcase" and I was not at all disappointed.
best blog on saipan, cnmi, guam, managaha
Since I am a fan of choice, I was a little saddened to know that there was only one movie being played. I wasn't able to find any reviews from the U.S. film critics, but I think there are enough of local movie buffs to provide the inside scoop from on high.
scuba diving, saipan tribune, marianas variety, kspn
The only movie playing on Capital Hill is a couple of years old but believe it or not, it features some local talent! I was as surprised as everyone else in the packed house when the opening credits began to roll across the silver screen and I'm not ashamed to say I even applauded before the show got underway. mustbethehumidity, lil hammerhead
Forgive me. I'm purposely being a little vague about the movie title, the storyline and the local talent because I don't want to give away any of the plot points. Don't worry if you weren't able to catch the show at the "LegiPlex Showcase" because the staff will be running the same thing over and over until we're sick of seeing the same thing again and again.