Friday, November 21, 2008

New Clothing Line

Just to gain a distraction from the tragic week we've had in the CNMI, I've decided to open up a new business selling clothing items to the people of the Marianas. For years, I've been sitting on this business plan but I was never motivated enough to do anything about it.

After taking some time to reflect on life's lack of a guarantee, I decided that there's no time like the present because you never know if you're going to have a future. Just ask around Saipan and you'll know exactly what I mean.

For starters, I was thinking about a new line of celebrity t-shirts. Because time and money was in short supply, I was only able to get one of the prototypes out to Joeten this afternoon. Just my luck, there was a Russian tour group who literally swept in from the buses and bought all of them not less than 10 minutes after I put them on the rack.

I'm positive that none of them spoke English so the clever mode of phrasing I employed surely didn't win them over. I thought back to last month when I caught a glimpse of the Russian supermodels who dropped by to Saipan.

That's when it hit me that the Russians are into beautiful people. I knew that there was a chance that I could make a few sales come election time if I started using local politicians as the subject of my work, but I thought the bulk of my sales would come from the local buying public.

Not so. If my little experiment in the apparel biz has taught me anything it's that sex sells. Apparently, it's true when it comes to the Russians. As the air inside Joeten began to fill with the sound of rattling plastic hangars and cash registers, I was so excited that I snapped a photo of the last one that passed though the register. What do you think?