Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Whatchu Talkin' 'Bout Muna?

I can't believe that the power rates are about to more than double their current rate. On one hand it makes sense for the rates to reflect the actual cost of fuel, but on the other hand, it seems logical that the CUC would have to remove the fuel surcharge.

Is that what's happening?

Perhaps my use of “logical” is the problem.

The Saipan Tribune and the Marianas Variety broke the story on the front page of today’s editions.

First of all, don't tell me that the fuel surcharge isn't still around either. I see it as a specific line item on every monthly bill. The Yapper’s bill broke through the stratosphere last month for the twenty-fourth consecutive month.

You know, come to think of it, I never saw my power rates drop when they were supposed to. I don’t really know if I’ll be in for a shock or not when next month’s bill rolls around.

What about the load shedding? Will the increase in rates eliminate the load shedding? And another thing, how much will I have to pay to drink the water out of my tap?

There’ll be “plenty” of questions to be asked of the CUC, but here's three to get our reporters going. So get to it, reporters!

Feel free to call the CUC Customer Service department for yourself at (670) 235-7025. Well, if you can get through, that is. I let the line ring an untold amount of times for five minutes before they hung up on me.

In a related story, the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation will be giving away complimentary ornaments with every bill payment received to remind people in advance of the holiday season where their Christmas money went.


Ho, Ho, Ho! Merry C(uc)hristmas!